Hey everyone!
So...... A lot has gone on in this short amount of time :D First of all, I just want to say Thank You to all of you for your prayer and support, it really means a lot.
The first week we were here we had a lot of time to just chill out and get to know each other. We did have introductions to classes, which was really cool. The classes we are taking are Pentateuch taught by Rebecca Bauer (Jack Hayford's daughter), Spiritual Gifts in Ministry taught by Melissa Bauer (Rebecca's daughter in law), and an internship overseen by Kristen Flores. I am learning so much through these classes about how to live my life in Christs' image and I'm getting a deeper study in what the Bible says.
On thursday afternoon we left for boot camp which was about an hour away at Haven House. As soon as we got there we were split up into teams and were told to go through 10 obstacles. Each team was assigned a drill instructor who told us how to complete the obstacles. In the beginning our team was not working together and we received lots of “rewards,” which were push-ups. So we learned slowly but steadily how to be obedient and listen to directions carefully.
I learned a lot about the personalities of the people on my team. In an area where someone was lacking another person learned to compensate because we really had to function as one body in order to pass through the courses. I was pushed to do things that I thought I couldn’t do. In one event we had to carry a team member up a hill on our backs and then back down. The first time it was hard, but then five minutes later we had to do it again! Even though it hurt and I didn’t want to carry someone back up, I did it! God gave me the strength when I didn’t have any.
The hardest part physically, in my opinion, was holding our rocks (which symbolized Jesus) in the air for long periods of time. The whole time my body was sore and my arms were aching but I just kept thinking of what Jesus did for me and how it was a thousand times worse. I kept thinking that the love of our Savior is so great that he SUFFERED and died for us! I really began to grasp the corner of His kind of love.
It was really hard to see people break down. Sure, the whole experience was physically hard but emotionally it was pushing us to our limits as well. I saw strengths and weaknesses and learned to love people just the way they are, which isn’t easy. I felt as though God was opening my eyes to how He sees people. During this time we were being refined and things came into my mind that I needed to change but I had never really realized before. I had to let things go, so God could work in me and renew my mind and body.
Ok, I know this is getting really long, but I just want to say a little more....
This last Saturday I started my internship at The Garvanza Foursquare Church. It was awesome! The church was having a clean-up/painting day and my group which is made up of about 14 Ignite students went to help out. We spent the entire day washing cupboards and tables, vacuuming, painting, and just getting the church looking great. The whole idea of the internship is serve the local church in whatever they need. Christ was a servant here on earth and we are made in his image, so I believe it is only fitting we learn to serve.
On Sunday morning we went to church there, and it was really good. Afterwards, the pastor invited all the young people over to his house for a Mexican BBQ... it was so yummy! I met a lot of awesome people, and it was just a blast!
One more thing....
All Ignite students were invited to the Executive Council Summit in Longbeach. I'll let you know how it goes in the next blog. Hopefully I won't be such a slacker next time and write sooner. Haha :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hey Diana! Good to hear that you are doing well. I hope we can stay in contact while you are away. Your W2's came here so i called your mom and forwarded them to her.
ReplyDeleteOh thank you so much! I hope so too!
ReplyDelete